East Meon is a small village that lies 5 miles to the West of Petersfield. It is thought to have started life somewhere between 400 and 600 AD, part of the Royal Manor belonging to King Alfred the Great. The Doomsday survey of 1086 showed that the Manor then belonged to William the Conqueror with six mills and land for 64 ploughs.
The village church was built between 1075 & 1150 & has a rare font, one of only seven in the country made from black Tournai marble. Opposite the church is the old Court House with a mediaeval hall dating from the 14th century.
During the Second World War, Hitler’s Luftwaffe dropped 38 high explosive bombs & aprox 3500 incendiary bombs around ‘the hidden village’, luckily with no recorded loss of life.
1986, the 900th anniversary of the’Domesday Book’ East Meon was chosen as ‘The Domesday Village’, with a model in Winchester's Great Hall showing the village as it was then.
Today the population of East Meon is aprox 1200, There's a Primary School, two pubs, Ye Olde George Inn & The Izaak Walton, a village shop with Post Office and a village hall where a host of community activities take place.